Eugene is already installing the network for small cell 5G systems, despite the fact that there has been no research on 5G safety. The city’s regulations are based on an outdated 1997 City Ordinance. Small cell transmitters are being installed right next to homes and schools. There has been no safety testing of 5G radiation effects on public health. We need to update our ordinances to limit impacts and ensure that the publicly-owned right-of-way is being properly used.
Key Links on 5G
- Excellent short primer on the safety of 5G technology by the former President of Microsoft Canada, Frank Clegg (10 minutes total). It’s everything you need to know about why so many Eugene residents are concerned about what EWEB is putting on its poles. (September 14, 2019) Former President of Microsoft Canada, Frank Clegg, On Safety of 5g Wireless Technologies
- Excellent Scientific American Blog, by Joel M. Moskowitz on October 17, 2019. We Have No Reason to Believe 5G Is Safe
Biggest U.S. study done to date on health impacts:
National Toxicology Program’s $30 Million Study of Cell Phone Radio Frequency Radiation Health Effects (March 2018)
The NTP studies found that high exposure to RFR (900 MHz) used by cell phones (2G and 3G) was associated with:
- Clear evidence of tumors in the hearts of male rats. The tumors were malignant schwannomas.
- Some evidence of tumors in the brains of male rats. The tumors were malignant gliomas.
- Some evidence of tumors in the adrenal glands of male rats. The tumors were benign, malignant, or complex combined pheochromocytoma.
Here is the link to the map of the City of Eugene’s permit and right of way use for small cell from the City’s website: